New funds available for early career Canadian researchers building careers in bioinformatics, computational biology or health data sciences
Genome Canada is proud to partner with five Institutes at the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), the Centre for Research on Pandemic Preparedness and Health Emergencies, and Mitacs, to invest in the 2024/25 Health Research Training Platform (HRTP). The HRTP is a funding opportunity intended to support the development of interdisciplinary, inter-jurisdictional, and intersectoral research training platforms that will attract a diverse cadre of trainees and early career researchers (ECRs) and equip them with the foundational skills and knowledge required for a wide range of careers within and outside academia.
There are five funding pools within this opportunity and Genome Canada is partnering on the Bioinformatics, Computational Biology and Health Data Sciences pool. The full set of pools includes:
- Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, and Health Data Sciences
- Brain Health and Cognitive Impairment in Aging
- Health System Impact Training Platform
- One Health: Antimicrobial Resistance
- One Health: Emerging Zoonoses
What the genomics research community should know regarding the Bioinformatics, Computations Biology and Health Data Sciences pool:
- Genome Canada is partnering with CIHR’s Institute of Aging (IA), Institute of Cancer Research (ICR), Institute of Genetics (IG), Institute of Infection and Immunity (III), and Institute of Musculoskeletal Health and Arthritis (IMHA) on this grant.
- $6,050,000 is available to fund a single application relevant to Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, and Health Data Sciences pool.
- The maximum amount of funding for this training platform is $1,008,333 per year for up to 6 years, for a total of $6,050,000 per grant.
- Anyone interested in how to apply for this funding should attend a 90-minute virtual information webinar on Oct. 19 at 2:00 pm ET.
For full details on this funding opportunity including the funds available and the eligibility criteria, please visit the Health Research Training Platform (HRTP) 2024/25 Funding Opportunity.
Important upcoming dates:
Virtual information webinar: Oct. 19, 2023
Registration deadline: Nov. 15, 2023
Full application deadline: Feb. 1, 2024
Anticipated notice of decision: Aug. 1, 2024